Submit Real Life Stories for
Currently we are accepting Real Life Stories for publication!
Memoirs By: Me features memoirs written by readers just like you! Memoirs are an account of the personal experiences of an author. In other words, they are real life stories written by you, about you.
But I'm not a writer...
You don't have to be. The emphasis is on the story, not the writing of it. There are people you can pay to check your spelling and grammar; People who will even tape record you and transcribe your words onto a page, but it's your story. Nobody can tell your story for you.
But my life is uneventful, insignificant...
No, it's not. You are worth getting to know...whether you have children or not. The person you are and have become matters to a great deal of people. You have experiences that will inspire and relate to others from ALL walks of life. Read Who Says You Have to be Family to Enjoy a Good Memoir? to see what I'm talking about.
I don't have time...
Yes, you do...it's all in how you spend it. Is your memory in tact? Then, take advantage of this time you do have and draw upon your memory to write a story from your life.
I don't like to write...
I'm not suggesting you write a term paper. I'm suggesting you write about the easiest person in the world...yourself! Everyone's favorite subject is themselves. Even if you are shy and don't like to be the center of attention, I'll bet you secretly wish you could. Why? Because it is human nature! We want to be known. It's a human need. We crave recognition, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's not selfish. It's normal!
What do I write about?...
GOOD QUESTION! Check out some of these writing prompts and exercises to give you some ideas. Also, read some of the stories in our Featured Memoirs section to see some examples of others' memoirs.
Then, go ahead and write something. Don't worry about your spelling and grammar...do the best you can. We'll proofread it before it gets published.
How long does it have to be?
As long or as short as you want, provided you include the basic elements of a story structure. As you can see in our Featured Memoirs, the length varies greatly. Read What Makes a Good Story, for some basic information.
Some Memoir Writing Tips:
- It is customary to write your memoirs in the first person. Don’t worry about overusing the word “I”.
- Tell the bad and the good…it’s more interesting and believable.
- Be gracious when writing about others…be truthful yet tasteful.
- Do your best to get it right. You are producing an historical document based on memory…just do your best to keep it accurate.
- Be yourself…the more true to yourself you are, the more you will shine. Don’t try to be a “writer”…instead, imagine you are writing a letter to your best friend. The words will flow more naturally, and people will relate to the real person that you are as opposed to someone you are trying to portray.
- Most importantly, have fun! You’ll find that this kind of writing is addictive, and you won’t want to stop.
So, grab a pen or a keyboard and start writing! Check out this step-by-step Story Submission Action Plan to keep you on track.
When you're ready to submit your story, Follow these Writer's Guidelines and submit your story to the email address given on the form. Only submissions made using these guidelines will be considered.
Stories selected to be featured in the Readers' Circle will receive:
- Placement of author's byline and signature link (if desired)
- Complimentary editorial services on the selected submission
- Complimentary listing in our Featured Memoirs section
- A teaser in our newsletter, Scroll down Memoir Lane
- Benefit of feedback from other MBM readers
We appreciate your willingness to share your stories with us!
All submissions will receive an initial response on receipt of the Story Submission.
We look forward to reading your story, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to tell it!
Back to top